I had always wanted to cycle along Belgium's shoreline, which boasts an 80 km cycle path. Intrigued, I landed in Oostend, a city popular in its own right, with historical ties to maritime trade and art festivals, which lives up to its name in gold as the city is quite artistic. From grand, sprawled-out public spaces to customised motorbikes that repeatedly catch your attention, Oostend feels like a patchwork of modern and ancient stamps, as if somebody juxtaposed iconic images from two centuries all in the same place.
The long promenade is busy but spacious. There are often seagulls and pigeons that dive into view and, if you're not careful, they will be off with your fries and drinks. Near the shore, we find a seafarers' monument, an homage to all the fishermen who have lost their lives to the sea.
This stands right in view of an artwork that can best be described as strange, bright rocks, and they stand out quite spectacularly against the city background. Since I arrived a bit early, I was able to enjoy a quiet walk along the beach promenade and get my feet in the sand. There is an endless ocean humming in front of me and a pleasant breeze to lull the senses. What would have been an ideal time to sunbathe is unfortunately clouded over, so I head on towards the bicycle rental shop. At this point, if you would like a recommendation, just take the first one you find and begin your cycling journey. The path along the beach could not be more inviting as I embarked, pleasantly joined by a pair of singing seagulls. Eventually, the wood, the sand, and the clouds become rather harmonious. Occasionally, the rhythm breaks with beachside décor or a walkway leading to the rocks. Most of these paths are man-made along the shoreline just to break the monotony of sand meeting sea, and here we find seagull colonies munching on shellfish and other small creatures. While riding down this track, I realised we had the tram network right next to the bicycle path, which is another way to perhaps explore the shoreline if you would like the views and none of the sand in your ears. I wouldn't fault you if you do.
The wind, picking up every speck of dust, certainly found its way to my face, and that explains the natural glitter of dirt I needed to wash away later. Somewhere between Oostend and Middelkerke, I saw these cannons and military weapons, which are now part of a preserved exhibit but once formed an actual war front in Belgium during the Second World War. In fact, Oostend was one of the most heavily bombed cities in Belgium during the war. Today, thankfully, the greatest trouble to the citizens here is the beach encroaching onto the cycle path. And yes, we often had to stop, walk, and then cycle onwards across these patches of sand.
In the distance, we could see adventure seekers windsurfing, children building sandcastles, athletic people being athletic, and us cyclists taking in the views as leisurely as possible. On the beach itself, multiple oval shells belonging to cuttlefish are scattered all over. This is likely the remains of a lunch well done and dusted by our friendly seagulls, but it is quite fun to see odd things that a distant city life would not be attuned to. Back in Oostend a couple of hours later, we realised this romantic idea of a city is also a home for so many. I wonder if everyone who lives here loves it here.
And to think, Oostend is just a couple of minutes away from incredible Gothic castles and sun-baked cobblestone streets, seeking which would lead you to one of the most amazing cities in the world called Brugge. But that's a story for another video.
Comments
Post a Comment