Bruges is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and walking around these age-old cobblestone streets and gabled rooftops with their captivating staircase design, you very quickly realize why that is the case.
1. Birds
Let me first begin with the most abundant inhabitants of the city: our ducks, moorhens, and coots.
The river channels that heavily criss-cross the city were built by effectively rerouting the River Reie in the 13th century, and this was so that seafaring tradesmen arriving on large ships could directly disembark onto smaller boats and transfer their luggage into the indoor markets. Today, these same waterways are occupied by birds and boats, preserving the medieval look of the city. In fact, it was only this year that the most iconic birds of the city, the swans, were removed from the waterways to protect them from an avian flu outbreak. So it's safe to say that the city favours certain types of citizens over others, and I think we all support that decision. Meanwhile, the national bird of every country ever, the pigeon, finds a ledge or branch to rest on wherever you go.We also noticed a wagtail at the beginning of our trip, wagging its tail on a four-sided lantern post which I later discovered had been designed by local craftsmen of the city and is therefore also a legally protected design.
Over time, commercialisation and trade moved to another city known as Antwerp, which had its own stock exchange and a more open trade market. This meant that Bruges was left behind as a medieval infrastructure town. Today, the city actively preserves its brickwork, colour palette, and skyline in favour of attracting modern tourists to a medieval town.
2. Historical buildings
Speaking of which, we continue hearing the click-clacking of horse carriages around us, behind us, and coming towards us as we visit every main tourist spot. Their numbers and welfare are actually regulated by the city.
One of the best parts of Belgium is that the beauty of its designs is slightly understated—some functional and some rather intricate. So, as you walk around the centre, take a moment to stare at the most obvious attraction: the Belfry Tower. At over 80 m in height, it was built to display Bruges as a merchant city of great wealth and success. The 47 bronze bells housed in the Belfry still ring to this day, and the corridor inside is used for different exhibitions of music and art.
Some distance from the city centre, you can find the red brick structures continuing along the roadways in the form of old schools, mansions, and apartment buildings. In fact, one of the best ways to walk through the history of the design, life, and luxury that once inhabited the city is with a visit to the Gruuthusemuseum. The paintings, artworks, and even the style of tilework in the windows and floors are a sight to behold, to the point that it feels like a maximalist experience of colours and shapes through time.
Another important part of Bruges' artistic heritage comes in the form of lace and lace products. These are incredibly intricate fabrics which make you appreciate the expertise and concentration of the professionals who still keep this art alive. In fact, I found a lot of lace displayed in frames and ornamental boxes while browsing a flea market. The city clearly prides itself on its age-old textile traditions, as I even found a geographical map made in the form of a lace lattice in a popular tourist area.
Worth mentioning here is that I also spotted a metalwork statue known as The Bouquet, dedicated to a former mayor of Bruges, although it seems to be hidden in plain sight, especially as large crowds of people make their way towards the open tables and wares of the flea market.
3. Flea market
This market is popular around the Dijver canal and is organised on most weekends, with exquisite antique items and glassware among the many options. It is difficult not to purchase as many things as one can—or at least bargain for a ceramic display... an opportunity I rather cheekily allow myself the liberty of.
Unfortunately, one of the downsides of an enthusiastic tourist crowd is the way some of the most well-known locations become flocked with photographers and admirers. So my time at Lovers' Bridge was far from ideal, but I am glad to see the number of lovers who fill the bridge in hordes.
I would also like to point to the many well-behaved dogs who walked alongside their friendly owners, and I did spot quite a few during the day. A fun fact about this cat is that I was approached by a kind photographer who took and gave me an instant photograph of us in the street, which simply added to the warm and welcoming feeling that Bruges evokes. This is only amplified as you walk down these romantic river channels. I have no strategy to suggest here, just the fact that any street you turn down, or bridge you cross in an attempt to follow the river, will lead you to even more interesting and colourful streets you wouldn't expect to see.
4. Church galore!
In fact, it was in many of these alleyways that we encountered tall, aesthetic churches, some dedicated to Jesus, some to the Madonna, and some rather artistic in their own right. There are symbols and icons from the Catholic Gothic era of Bruges which represent both the religious sentiments and the preserved art forms of their time. Any of those that you choose to enter will certainly feel larger than life in both scene and atmosphere, even if you do not actively practise the religion. For me, simply turning my head up towards the ceiling and tracing the contours of the many designs in the inner arches and domes is equally mesmerising and calming.
Since the Begijnhof is an actual residential place, I chose to quietly admire the houses and walk towards the nearby Minnewater Park. Here, we enjoyed a fresh plate of apple tart next to the cormorants and crested grebes.
5. Food
And as any Belgian souvenir shop will remind you, a trip without waffles, fries, and beer is incomplete. I recommend trying the local Brugse Zot, which is quite fruity and aromatic, but definitely pairs well with seafood. I was able to try the local codfish with mashed potatoes, which truly knocked the flavours out of the park. Especially after a long day of walking, it makes for a well-deserved dinner.Another suggestion I have is to visit a local chocolatier and pick up a discovery box to explore many interesting combinations, like chilli and sugar or dried flowers with raspberries. I personally find these professionals super creative and passionate about discovering new flavour combinations, and it is quite a vibe to munch on these snacks while sitting on a park bench in the city park.
6. Scenes That Made Me Double Take!
Now, onto the second last thing that you might or might not agree with me on. I think every trip you take has some sights that make you double take at what you just saw, and for me, these make up the whole bag of Bruges views. In any case, I prepared a montage in case you ever find yourself on the streets here and notice the same things I did.
7. Dated buildings
The last thing that I would draw your attention to is the timestamp on many of these old historical houses. There are these dates of years that the building was first built on, displayed on the façade, and this is quite interesting because the homeowners of Flanders took advantage of an existing architectural requirement for their houses.
Many of those old wooden structures were nailed in place by long spears of iron that held onto the façade, so the outward head of this pole was further moulded into the birth year of the property. Trying to find the next big façade with these numbers could also become your favourite pastime while walking around Bruges, and I am sure the merchants of the Middle Ages would extend their gratitude.
Comments
Post a Comment